It has probably happened to you at one time or another. And if it hasn’t, it probably will. We are talking about a dead car battery. You get in your car to head to work, turn the key and nothing happens. You may hear a couple of clicks but there is no doubt that your battery is dead. Here is how you can jump start your battery and get back on your way safely.
Tools that you will need to jumpstart your battery
Before you even get started, you will need to be sure you have a few tools on hand first. You will need a good set of jumper cables, gloves to protect your hands, googles to protect your eyes and a vehicle with a good, working battery.
Connecting the jumper cables to your battery
- Be sure the two cars are facing each other, about two feet apart.
- Be sure that both cars are turned off, placed in park, with the parking brake on.
- Attach the red end of the jumper cables to the positive battery terminal of the dead battery.
- Attach the other red end of the jumper cables to the positive battery terminal of the working battery.
- Attach the black end of the jumper cables to the negative battery terminal of the working battery.
- Attach the other black end of the jumper cables to a clean bolt on the engine block of the car with the dead battery.
Starting the vehicle
- First, start the car that contains the working battery. Allow it to run for 1-2 minutes.
- Now, try to start the car with the dead battery. If the car does not start right away, allow to charge for another minute or so.
- You can try revving the engine of the car with the working battery to help with the charge.
- Once the car with the dead battery has started, you can remove the jumper cables, ensuring they do not touch each other, and starting with removing the black ends of the cables first.
- Now, take a drive around the block to ensure that the battery builds up a good charge.
- Turn your car off after the short drive and be sure it starts again.
Come to General Muffler & Auto Supply for Your Battery Repair
If you’re having issues with starting your vehicle, or you think you need a new battery, contact General Muffler & Auto Supply today! We service vehicles in the Ansonia, CT and Derby, CT areas!